Android versions distribution update: Froyo surpasses 60%

Friday, April 22, 2011

This is Google, which gives us the latest update for Android platform versions distribution. Figures show that Froyo increases its lead on the front, while gingerbread and Honeycomb still struggling to make an impact. There is also a significant loss of market shares for all Android releases prior to and including 2.1 Eclair.

And here's the exact figures-compared with February, Froyo won 3.7% of additional market share and adding 61.3%.

Android 2.3 gingerbread actually lost and slipped 0.1% to 0.7%, but other gingerbread distribution (2.3.3) now runs on 1% of all droids. And total 1.7% is more than twice as large percentage pepparkakor held last month, it is still quite insignificant compared to what is Froyo.

We are convinced that this will soon change as the availability of devices increases and more gingerbread updates start coming in. Also we are sure that devices like the Samsung Galaxy S II and HTC desire's and affordable Wildfire's should enhance Android 2.3 share considerably when they hit the shelves.

It is the same story with Tablet-friendly Android 3.0 Honeycomb. It contains only 0.2% of the market now, but it is not that bad considering that Motorola Xoom is only publicly available entity to use it.

Finally, we note the continued decline of Android versions before Froyo. 2.1 Eclair slipped another 2.1% to 29%, while the 1.6 Donut lost 1.5% to 4.8%. The oldest Android version that still has a significant market share is 1.5 Cupcake, which is 0.9% and now runs on the 3% of all droids.

We are waiting for the current trends will continue during the next month. Since late April/early May are likely to see the first decrease in market share since its launch as Froyo gingerbread (2.3.3 mostly as 2.3 will be skipped by most manufacturers and will probably become extinct) and Honeycomb pick up the pace.


View the original article here